Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Bad News for the Realms in 4e

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Bad News for the Realms in 4e Empty
PostSubject: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Looks like they're going to shove the timeline about 100 years into the future and trash the Realms to make them fit in with the "Points of Light" crap. But don't worry, as a consolation to us old timers, they said Drizzt and Elminster will still be there.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 pm

WTF!

I am staying 3.X
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 2:25 pm

I made that decision already, but more and more they make it seem easier for me with crap like this. I'll keep my realms the way they are, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Definately, why change the Face of D&D?
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting a post on another website:

Quote :
The orc king book information.

The Orc King starts out with a prologue set 100 years in the future of Forgotten Realms. It hints at what Drizzt has been doing throughout said time (protecting the newly established orc continent) and also talks of the recient outbreak of the Spellplague. As far as I know, the Spellplague is a withering disease, much like the Black Plague, that only affects those attuned to the Magic Weave. It has little to no relevence in The Orc King, however, so is not really explained.

Anyway, the actual story of the book takes place just after Obould ceased his march and attacks on Mithril Hall. The orcs and the dwarves are at a complete standstill, neither attacking the other at fear of their own losses. Bruenor seeks to remedy this situation by exploring what he thinks is the ruin of an ancient dwarven city (if you remember a few books back, Regis fell through the ground in Pale Pass and witnessed a dwarven ghost apparition, this is where Bruenor believes the city to be). He gathers Regis, Drizzt, and a few other side character dwarves to go explore.

Meanwhile, Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie decide to go after Colson, who is now being kept in Nesme. Cattie-Brie was crippled in the last book by a flying boulder and can barely walk. Their journey is short, they get to Nesme, get Colson back (almost coming to blows, but not quite) and Wulfgar expresses his intention to return to Icewind Dale. He refuses to listen to Catie-Brie's begging for him to return to Mithril Hall and sends her home. Wulfgar then goes on a journey back to Angbar (srry, can't remember the name of the town Colson was born in) and returns her to her mother. He then returns to Icewind Dale where we learn no more of him.

Back to Bruenor and Drizzt, they completely explore the ruin but find something a little different then they had hoped. The ruin had once been above ground, but long since sank into the earth. It was a city created by orcs and dwarves living in harmony. Bruenor refuses to believe this and they return to Mithril Hall.

On the orc side, Obould is struggling to keep control over his army, he knows many of his leutenants seek to continue the war march for greater glory, and are already plotting his downfall, but he seeks to create an orc civilization where orcs can regain the power and honor they once held by befriending and trading with the other races. Several of his leutenants summon forth a powerful half-orc half-ogre tribe from the underdark to either convince Obould to destroy the dwarves, or de-throne him and put this half-orge chief in charge.

Breunor returns and attempts to get together a War council, but all his allies, Allustriel and the Moonwood Elves refuse to take up arms and throw the orcs back. They cannot deal with the losses such a war would bring. However, Allustriel does come to mithril hall with several powerful wizards to create a bridge over the River Surbin, just in case the dwarves need to retreat. She also meets up with Catie-Brie and seeing her present condition, offers to make her an apprentice and teach her magic. Finally, in desperation Bruenor decides they must cut off the head of the orc army in order to destroy it. He, Drizzt, Regis, and a few others create a tiny party thats sole purpose is to rush behind enemy lines and kill Obould. But, much to everyone's surprise, they end up attacking just as Obould is meeting the half-ogre cheif in combat.

It is obvious to Drizzt and Bruenor what they must decide. Drizzt tells Bruenor that he has two futures before him, help Obould and create another orc nation, or help the half-ogre and hopefully throw the orcs into chaos, continueing the dwarf/orc hatred. Bruenor chooses the prior and helps Obould to kill the half-orge.

That is basically the entire main story, Salvatore finishes it off by describing the signing of the orc/dwarf treaty, Catie-Brie's magic training, and a general peace around Mithril Hall. There is then another 100 future Epilogue where Drizzt describes that all the Realms have gone to hell and war and death, but a general peace has held over the Mithril Hall region.

I hope this information is all you were looking for. If you want anything else drop me a line sometime.

Yours
Lupus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Vic here is the information you asked fore

the spellplague is a spinoff/knockoff of the black plague of the middle ages, but in this case, is caused by a rapid increase in the amount of magic that is being used in the world... or so the rumors are saying. a lot of changes will be coming to the realms, of which you find out about in the orc king... drizzt tells of some of these things to a fellow elf as he's recalling the past 100 years... (aka, this scene of the book is a flash forward as our favorite dark elf)... luskan is gone, the elven followers of elistraee (sp?) are gone, the netherlands (sp?) are back/being rebuilt, and the only really civilized place left is the silver marches... ironic, no?

let me know if you have any more questions, and i'll be sure to help. ~

Yours
Magz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Vic

Let me be perfectly honest with you... I do not know what the Spellplague is. It is NOT explained in The Orc King and as far as my internet search goes, no one knows exactly what it is.
That doesn't mean I don't have a guess.

I think the Spellplague is basically our world's "Black Plague" that only affects those attuned to the Weave.
Let me show you this interesting forum post I found. The writer has no inside information (as far as I know) but is very perceptive to the changing realms.
"Now we have the Spellplague, from what we know it's only () going to kill spellcasters in the Realms, many of whom are well known and even well liked NPCs and flavor characters. All in order to justify a radical magic system change ('meh') and to address a perceived dislike of the Realms' many wizards ('bah'). That last one really has me worried. Is this really necessary? Trying to fix what some call a problem in an almost punishment, wish-fulfillment sort of way. Let's just magically wipe the characters some people say they don't like out in a horrible plague. It's the sort of thing you wouldn't even wish upon your enemies. Am I off the mark? I really hope I'm wrong about this."
"Yes, I'm being a bit snarky, but I hope my statements tapped into some logic and wisdom. All I can hope is that the Spellplague will not utter obliterate the setting and hope to reconstruct it again. It is ridiculous easy for WotC to do the former but practically impossible for them to accomplish the latter no matter how hard they try. I feel the Realms' popularity is a bit of a gestalt phenomenon. A number of varied factors came together at the right time at the right place to give WotC this popular setting. Trying to fix things by taking the setting apart, dissecting it, and them putting it back together again will likely not yield the same success. This thing has a life of it's own, it will do well naturally, but if you rip it up and slap it back together you get something closer to Frankenstein's monster, a simulacrum of the real thing, resembling it but only a diminished version of the original."

WoTC is in production of their 4th Edition D&D. Many many people are worried that, in order to justify a "radical magic system change" they are going to kill off all the powerful heroes (probibally in order to "re-start" the realms as it were). As most people would say, it is a very stupid and foolish attempt, if that is what it is. Just like the Time of Troubles, only this one much worse. Elminster, Allustrial, Manshoon, the Red Wizards of Thay... it is possible that WotC seeks to wipe them all out in one fell swoop. To clean the slate for their new 4E marketing campaign.

I honestly, to any and all Gods that are listening, hope I am completely wrong.

Yours
Lupus
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 9:38 pm

I don't know whether to laugh or whimper about this. I'm no fan of the Realms, so that's tempting me to laugh...but they're mucking around with a lot of stuff that I don't think they necessarily should, so I'm tempted to whimper.

"So clearly I cannot choose the goblet in front of me..."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptySat Sep 15, 2007 7:43 am

If these rumours are correct, then this spells doom for the FR setting. I wonder how Ed Greenwood feels about them destroying his creation?
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptySat Sep 15, 2007 8:24 am

I wonder the same thing Shot. To continue you thought, I wonder if he was in the "loop" somehow with the change?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 7:13 am

If he was Kilsek, then my opinion of him just got flushed along with the Realms...to build a world like FR, nurture it and have millions of people play it (or read about it) and then have it more-or-less nuked...wow...
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 8:19 am

Indeed, to defend him though-I doubt that he would have any part of this, it is a huge change.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyMon Sep 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Where exactly was it heard they'd change FR to fit with the "points of light" idea? And where is it stated you can't use old maps and city names and locations and even updated modules for your own campaigns? Sorry, don't want that to come off poorly, but it feels like everyone's being so fatalist lately. Where's my optimist crew? Come on, I'musually the fatalist here.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 7:30 am

I think as of late we have all become fatalists.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Bad News for the Realms in 4e Woot10
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 am

Wow thats just terrible.... I will read through it but then reflect on the old stuff the way it should be.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 9:23 am

It's been posted over on MM that Ed Greenwood had no part in the retooling of the Realms...he signed over creative control back when TSR bought the rights...he stated this direction wouldn't be his choice, but that he's not going to condemn it without giving a chance first...
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 am

Does he has his own site or blog or something?
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Interesting about greenwood. I would have thought he'd at least have some say, but the times, they are a'changin'. Definately going to crack the FR campaign book a few times before buying. With what they're doing with the worlds, I may have to homebrew pretty hard, but I was looking at doing such before 4.0 anyways, so this just may force my hand. I'm feeling very mixed on this, but I guess that's what they want? I dunno, I guess we'll just have to see with how they've been doing things.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 4:16 pm

He posts on the Candlekeep site.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 4:33 pm

oh ya duh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad News for the Realms in 4e   Bad News for the Realms in 4e Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad News for the Realms in 4e
Page 1 of 1