Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*

Go down 
+3
DarkFather
Kilsek
ZER0
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Empty
PostSubject: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm *really* tempted to pick this one up, but I don't want to start something I won't finish. I was wondering if somebody's run it and could run me by the basics of it? Maybe something similar to the Shattered Gates I posted if possible? Or a link to where somebody else had done it? Thanks!

Last edited by on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 pm

PM Dark Father he just finished running it. He is cool about helping folks out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
DarkFather
Annoying 40K playing Forum poster
DarkFather

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyTue Jul 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Yeah, I'll help where I can.

What did you want to know?

DF
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm mostly curious if it will be worth it. How the maps were (preferrably something not *too* squiggly as I usually use vinyl maps and I don't like map drawing to take up too much of the game, for the sake of player interest). Overall theme maybe. Synopsis if you have time. I haven't gotten a chance to really look through it at all, so really anything besides the blurb on the back will be useful:). I've been wanting to run a high level game lately, because I'm constantly starting off new groups who never get beyond 6th. Also, I heard it was long, so I wanted something to keep me going with those people who will run a module all the way through with me and then quit. I'm also curious if you could run me through which minis from the DDM line went well in here so I could start scooping them up before I have the game all ready if I decide to run it (if I decide to go with it). Maybe which creature type appeared frequently? I would assume red hand war sorcerer makes an appearance Very Happy. I know it's a bit much, but any input along these lines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 4:12 pm

I have only heard good things about it. I am picking it up tommarow
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
DarkFather

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyWed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 pm

ZER0 wrote:
I'm mostly curious if it will be worth it.

Abso 'frigging' lutely!! :duel: :dragon: :elf:

ZER0 wrote:
How the maps were (preferrably something not *too* squiggly as I usually use vinyl maps and I don't like map drawing to take up too much of the game, for the sake of player interest).

Alot of the maps are outdoors or above ground scenes. for these however, a good majority can be 'made' using simple scenery or easily and quickly sketching out the scene (as described). The adventure does come with some premade 1" grid maps, for minis use. :whee:

ZER0 wrote:
Overall theme maybe. Synopsis if you have time. I haven't gotten a chance to really look through it at all, so really anything besides the blurb on the back will be useful:)... Also, I heard it was long...

Hmmm. To do this without giving away any game info....

The adventure, no let's call this what it really is.... The CAMPAIGN is split into 5 parts. Any 1 of which could easily be run as an adventure in it's own right.

Part 1 - A baptism of fire. A 'sledgehammer welcome' to Elsir Vale if you like. The adventurers are drawn into the current problems of the vale and find themselves embroiled in happenings. Activities range from gaining allies to defending a town from a horde, including the possible finding of and eventual ownership of their own Keep, and even the destruction of an ancient landmark.

Part 2 - Halt a secondary advance of the afforementioned horde. Clear some ruins, get more allies, find something important, & basically get 'dirty'.

Part 3 - Use the important item to help in the fight against the horde, & defend the capitol of Elsir Vale.

Part 4 - The true defense of Elsir Vales Capitol. Fighting in the streets. The defeat of the leader of the horde (apparently).

Part 5 - Enter a Fane, fight your way through, make new PC's ( :roflmao: ), defeat the true leader of the horde, & finally defeat 'she who is summoned'.

This is an extremely long campaign, but if played as 5 'adventures', then it could be split up to make the work load seem alot lighter. The PC's will be given... a crapload... of assistance in the ways of magical items and NPC help, throughout the Campaign. At times this will leave you the DM feeling that the PC's are overpowered, but fear not. TPK's (Total Player/Party Kills) are quite possible at any time. A quick rundown of my Player kills during this adventure...

Half-Orc Druid killed by 'wandering monster' (Troll) in Part 1.
Elf Monk killed by Bugbear in Part 3.
Human Sorcerer killed by BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) in Part 3.
Human Warlock killed by Large Red Dragon in Part 4.
Human Psion, Human Fighter, Human Ranger, & Half-Elf Cleric killed in final battle.

The only surviving PC's were a Halfling Spellthief (Made it all the way through the campaign) and a Halfling Ninja (Who was found 5 encounters before the final battle - newly rolled replacement PC).

Of all the maps in the game, the Fane was by far the worst map to have to draw (time-wise). If you can 'pre-draw' the maps (maybe on the underside of a doble-sided, laminated battlemat?) then you wil find your time prepping majorly reduced.

Out of 10 scores:

10 out 10 - layout and ease of information locating.
9 out of 10 - Maps, and player handouts (It may help to scan some mini maps if you want/need to give the PC's a 'map of the Vale' at any point).
10 out of 10 - Monster selection.
10 out of 10 - Encounter Tactics and layouts.
7 out of 10 - Treasure and NPC assisstance given to the PC's (At times, what could easily have been a challenge or even death for the PC's was horribly weakened due to the amount of items and NPC help the PC's are given - If/when I run this adventure again, I will definitely be 'changing' some of the 'help' the PC's are given).
10 out of 10 - Storyline/plot and execution.
10 out of 10 - Interest holding ability (for both DM and players!)
10 out of 10 - Online aids (Check the WotC website)

Overall, I would give RHoD a very solid 9.5 out 10 overall.

I hope I have helped you enough without giving away too many spoilers.

ZER0 wrote:
I'm also curious if you could run me through which minis from the DDM line went well in here so I could start scooping them up before I have the game all ready if I decide to run it (if I decide to go with it). Maybe which creature type appeared frequently?

I would make sure you own at least....

15 Hobgoblins
2 Red Hand War Sorcerers
1 (or 2) Talon of Tiamats
5 (at least) Bluespawn Stormlizards (or sub Redspawns)
2 (or more) Snig on Worg
1 of every Chromatic Dragon made thus far (all sizes) (I can't say too much here without spoiling)
1 Behir

+ others (I don't want to 'spoil' too much of the campaign).

ZER0 wrote:
I know it's a bit much, but any input along these lines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I hope that has been enough help for you. If you require more info, please check out my RHoD sessions thread over at Maxminis. Just click here.

DarkFather
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 am

Thank you, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'm *Definately* going to be checking this out. Problem is, finding a group. Sad Well, it's never horribly hard to get ahold of a group, just one that'll stick around after 1 adventure. Anyways, rant over. Thanks again for the info.
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
DarkFather

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 5:39 pm

ZER0 wrote:
Thank you, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'm *Definately* going to be checking this out. Problem is, finding a group. Sad Well, it's never horribly hard to get ahold of a group, just one that'll stick around after 1 adventure. Anyways, rant over. Thanks again for the info.

Your more than welcome dude. If you need anything else in the way of help, handouts [that I have saved as files] (once you start running the campaign) just drop me a message here or by email, and I'll help you out where I can.

DF
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 pm

If you've got some free time, check out Maxminis and Hordelings. Griffrat posted his modified RHoD campaign (which was highly customized to his campaign world) on Hordelings and Shoe (Steven Shubert of WotC employ) posted much of his campaign on Maxminis.

I've read bits of it, and it looks like it was very well put together. I'd love to get a chance to run it.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyThu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Red Hand of Doom rocks!!!!!
Nice long adventure and it can be a all out war if the pcs are not careful. 2 thunbs up!
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 7:59 pm

It took me a while, but I finally read the thread with your run-through of RHoD. It looks great, and I definately plan on buying it. Thank you very much for the link, I look forward to reading any more adventures you may/may have covered. Quick question, does it come with a grid map for every notable place in the campaign or did you just feature the areas where it did? That would be amazingly simple if it did, and I'll run this module as of a week or two from now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
DarkFather

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 8:07 pm

The campaign comes with only 3 grid maps. It wouldn't be hard to use some of the DDM battlemaps for certain encounters though (Kings Road for any Witchwood encounters - for example)

DF
Back to top Go down
Chosen of Mystra
Sage of Shadowdale
Defender of the Faith: Connor

Sage of ShadowdaleDefender of the Faith:  Connor
Chosen of Mystra

Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 8:42 am

I really shouldnt be reading this! But nothing really in game is being discused
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 3:01 pm

I just picked up RHoD last night. It looks like a LOT of fun. Just wanted to send my thanks, and I made my roommate promise if she likes playing it to come by and make a screen name on here or maxminis, if nothing else to say thanks for the recommendation Very Happy . I'm looking forward to running it, and I'm about to start repainting some figs for the game. (It's not perfect, but I was thinking about for the wyrmlord taking a Dragonborn Fighter, ripping off his shield for the bluespawn's I have lying around, and painting his face blue. Good idea?) Makes it very simple getting some of the pieces though, with them being exactly what I've been holding onto for RPG from my minis collection I nearly threw away. I should run it soon, and I'll let everyone know how my adventure goes.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 3:26 pm

DarkFather wrote:

1 Behir
I had forgotten about that. scratch That was one thing about the campaign that I never could quite "grok". Behir's and Dragons do not mix.

I created this while on Maxminis (about a year ago)...If you're running RHoD, you might find it useful:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure I did it right, though. But it was just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Pinky is learning!

You did the spoiler right!
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 9:28 pm

I wasn't so much concerned about doing the spoiler tag correctly. I tested that with a Preview before I posted.

I was talking more about what I had done inside the spoiler block. Since we've got at least one reader here who is likely to soon be going through it, I thought it best to provide some protection.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Ya there are actually 3 members here that are going to be going threw it by me
Back to top Go down
DarkFather
DarkFather

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySun Jul 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Kilsek? Are you going to DM it online?!

I realise that I have DM'd it already, but I would love to go through it from a 'silent' players POV. (Even just as a Hack'n'Slasher' - no input into what the party does/etc... just a dice roller.)

DF
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 12:32 am

Wow....just from Df's ratings i want to give RHoD a try. Man i wish i could get an rpg group together Sad
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm

Is this possibly the next undermountain? I've yet to talk to somebody who didn't need replacement pc's or nerf the game a lot. It looks BRUTAL after reading through it a bit. X happens, halfway through X, Y comes in. When you finally finish off Y, Z comes in with a new X and 3 Y's. Haha. My players are going to be so mad. Ideas on whether I should just roll up a buttload of replacement characters for when a PC or ask them to bring backups or just deal with it when the time comes (the last one being my least fav., and the first one being my fav idea/solution/preparedness excercise.)
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer

Kilsek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 8:59 pm

DarkFather wrote:
Kilsek? Are you going to DM it online?!

I realise that I have DM'd it already, but I would love to go through it from a 'silent' players POV. (Even just as a Hack'n'Slasher' - no input into what the party does/etc... just a dice roller.)

DF

I may, but I am thinking I want to PC
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Shoe's thread on maxminis (and the general consensus that I've seen from others who have run it) is that while RHoD is very lethal, it can be run with a minimum of PC casualties if the players are smart, balanced and a little lucky.

Of course, having said that, one of Shoe's games had a player run through three or four characters...He just kept changing the name a bit: Danforth, Dunforth, Denforth...

Personally, I'd probably just warn the players upfront that this campaign will kill the careless and unlucky. I'd probably have the player roll up any needed new characters after their current character dies. That way the party composition can be adjusted for balance on the fly instead of chancing that a backup character will be appropriate.

This campaign (and reading the accounts thereof) was one of the key bits that rekindled my desire to get behind a set of dice.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 pm

That's true, I just didn't want the character to die right before down-time where they could have gone back to the town and hire/find a new buddy, and have to wait for the guy to roll up a new character while everyone else wants to push on, dragging the game down. Should I just leave him behind and unbalance the party for a bit?

EDIT: Oh, and all the awesome reviews and the fact that this adventure is simply awesome (my favorite WoTC module I've seen thus far) is the reason I decided to get behind a DM screen again.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyTue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 am

I probably would run a character "down" while a new one was generated. That would be semi-realistic and help to encourage the players to act as a team and recognize when they're in over their heads. There are always places to drop a character into things as they're progressing.

It might require that you, as DM, scale things back a bit while that is going on so as not to crush the remnants of the party. The other option would be fudging things for the players' benefit here and there (which you may have to do anyway) when things are getting ugly.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Edited with proper spoiler tag. Should have done that sooner, sorry all.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 2:04 am

ZER0, I'm not seeing anything, man.

Granted, I'm getting a bit cross-eyed tonight, but I think something got left out.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 3:41 am

really? On my comp it says "Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*"
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 1:14 pm

Oh, you modified the title of the thread!

I was looking for a post about the campaign.

Oops.

But since we're in spoiler territory, I'll chime in.

The Behir encounter just doesn't make sense to me. Behir's hate Dragons. That's why I upped the ante with the Fiendish White (see my post with the spoiler tag earlier in the thread). I think I got the stats worked out correctly, but I decided that the fiendish White would make more sense than the Behir. They're both still Fiendish, but now the focus on Tiamat is kept a little tighter.

The CR of the Dragon is a bit off from that of the Behir, but the DM should be able to adjust for that pretty easily. If you go with a less advanced Dragon, give it a bit of equipment or play it a bit smarter. If you go with a more advanced, make the Dragon a little more reckless or a play a little more carelessly to make up for the difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*   Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS* Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Hand of Doom? *SPOILERS*
Page 1 of 1