Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Am I the Only One?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyMon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm

I'm just completely disinterested in skirmish for now. I haven't even really looked at stats for DoD. Heck, I haven't even thought about skirmish much in months. I thought the set pretty much stunk from an RPG perspective, and want very little of it. I've only bought 2 boosters and that's because the GCube is so easy to cherry pick.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing what 2.0 will bring to the table rules-wise, though I'm not fond of the removal of Commanders and morale. Even if I do like the rules well enough to play some games, I will no longer buy minis for skirmish stats, playing only with the stuff I'm keeping for RPG and from the look of the new art, I won't be buying much.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Am I the Only One? Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Am I the Only One? Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyThu Dec 06, 2007 9:36 pm

I think that skirmish took a real hit when WotC announced 2.0.

Which is a real shame, even if it was very much needed. I think that there have been many folks more than a little put off by the announcement of a new edition and then having the new minis for the old rules put out when they announced the new editions.

Buy the look of the new D&D with none of the new D&D perks! Oh, and if you're still wanting a bunch of pieces for that old and yucky D&D: $&#* you.

Dammit, I wsan't bitter until a couple minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyFri Dec 07, 2007 12:37 am

Well, from an RPG standpoint, this was a pretty darned good set. However, if you've been buying DDM for a while, it's a horrible set. At this point older players don't need c/uc PC types as much, or monsters like the troll and umber hulk.

*But*, for someone (like myself) who started at War Drums or later, it's great. Umber Hulk, G-Cube, Sphinx, Thundertusk Boar, Farmer, Warhorse, Croc, Mummy, Manticore, Nightmare, Osyluth, Cyclops, Mastiff, Swarms, Large Fire Elemental, Werewolf (kinda gnoll-ey, but still very good IMO), and Yuan-ti(s) are very good. Even things like conjurer, Bruenor (not a very good bruenor, but a decent enough dwarf, or about 5 of them for a clan battlehammer attack force), halfling rogue, etc. are all *very* nice looking.

I personally like the new bone devil over the old. The old Manticore sucks, and for a lot of the rest, there weren't even any good proxies.

I will concede that skirmish has been a bit boring (I was hoping for more fun pieces like the prisoner and halfling tombseeker bringing fun new things to the table, myself). I've played maybe 2 games in as many months. It's very uninteresting as of late, and picking up 40k doesn't really help haha. Maybe 2.0 will change that, maybe it won't. I guess I can't really say. However, I can say, until 2.0 comes out, I'm pretty much done skirmishing.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Give Peace a Chance People   Am I the Only One? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:48 pm

I understand what some people who have played for awhile are thinking. I remember when D&D 3.0 came out, it was huge change and alot of us were very unsure of it. I also see the point about cretures that aren't needed by veteran players. As a recent addition to D&D Miniatures, I too am happy to see the new creatures because I do not have the old ones. I only got a chance to play the "old" rules a couple of times and have been playing the new ones for a couple of months. My perceptions...good riddance morale and routing...total pain in the ass. Also the streamlining of spells by using special abilities is brilliant. The spells are too time consuming. The whole reason I play skirmish now is that I didn't want to put all that time into RPG'ing. My one complaint, the addition to defense. Its very confusing to some of the people I brought into the game in the last month or so as they never played D&D before.

I say give the new rules some time, add in your old critters as the stats become available (for free mind you) and I hink it will all sort itself out.
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:36 am

Now that I've had a chance to play a couple games with the new rules, I'm finding I don't much like the gameplay. The ability to charge/target anything makes fodder and blockers completely pointless and removes a lot of strategy from the game and everything having only one attack makes the game at least close to as swingy from a single bad die roll as morale.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Am I the Only One? Woot10
Registration date : 2007-04-09

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 8:11 am

What's DDM? :)
Back to top Go down
thekidxii
Red headed step child
Red headed step child
thekidxii

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-04-13

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:58 am

yack wrote:
What's DDM? :)
QFT (beat me to it dude)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Am I the Only One? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I the Only One?   Am I the Only One? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I the Only One?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons :: DDM Gaming Discussions :: DDM General Discussion-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com