Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

DeD Preview 2 is UP!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

DeD Preview 2 is UP! Empty
PostSubject: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 6:30 pm

We're throwing a new wrinkle into the D&D Miniatures game with Desert of Desolation: rules for riding specific creatures. The D&D Minis game has had many mounted creatures in previous sets, but they've all been one piece with riders and mounts together. From the Halfling Outrider (which I'm sure inspired many war dog-riding halfling paladins) to my favorite, the Skeletal Courser (I just think it was really well done), mounted minis have been a staple in sets gone by.

But mounted minis provide their own challenges, too. From a production perspective, they're more difficult because they must be molded with more pieces than a typical mini and then assembled. When they are painted, the mount and the rider essentially amount to two separate figures, which quickly eats into the overall paint budget for a set. Even once we get them in a set, their utility in RPG games is limited, because sometimes you just want the mount or you want the rider to look just like your PC/NPC.

There was also a lot of call for a simple mini, like a horse, that could be used by RPGers. So we looked at what it would take to add a horse to a set. We investigated ways of making various steeds rideable, such as by leaving a space on which another mini might stand, but we couldn't figure out a way that didn't look corny. Instead, we decided to add creatures that could serve as mounts but not worry about placing riders directly on them. For the most part, there's enough room on the base for a Medium-sized creature to stand next to the mount, so you can still figure out who is on which horse.

For the skirmish game, however, we looked at how a horse or other mount might work. It would have been pretty easy to just stat it up like the warhorse from the Monster Manual and leave it at that, but having a horse that wasn't also a mount was unsatisfying. With some work, along with the input of others in R&D such as Mike Mearls, we put together the Mount rules to allow certain creatures to bear certain types of riders. Creatures designated as mounts have the Mount special ability, usually with a qualifier like "Humanoid Mount" or "Orc Mount." A creature of the appropriate type can ride that particular mount. We've put a space on the mount's stat card to place the rider -- in the skirmish game, the rider is taken off the board when it mounts up (if it didn't start the battle already mounted) and placed directly on the mount's card. A mount and rider together are referred to as a mounted creature.
DeD Preview 2 is UP! Mi20070913a_ragedrak

The mounted creature (mount and rider) activate as one creature. It uses the mount's speed and acts much like any other creature -- it can move twice its speed, move and attack once, not move and make all its attacks, or charge. If it moves and attacks only once (including a charge), the player can use either the mount's attack or the rider's attack.

When attacking the mounted creature, the attacker can target either the mount or the rider. Area attacks affect both.

When making morale saves, the mount can use its own level or the rider's, but if it routs, it starts running toward the exit, carrying the rider with it. If the rider routs, it doesn't immediately run to the exit (the mount stays there), but it will run if it fails its rally check. The nuances to the morale checks will make these combinations interesting.
DeD Preview 2 is UP! Mi20070913a_nightmar

Some mounts gain a benefit when carrying riders, and others grant abilities to their riders, as noted on their stat cards. For example, the Rage Drake's Rage ability normally gains a +5 damage bonus when it is below half its starting hp total, but its Raging Mount ability also grants Rage to the rider (which is some sort of Orc). Similarly, the Nightmare's Smoke (Conceal 6, or Conceal 11 against nonadjacent enemies) is shared with its Humanoid rider.

The Mount rules are probably enough to digest this week. The full rules are printed on the booster insert and cover other important situations such as dismounting. Next week's preview will involve a poisonous turkey. (Wait, that can't be right… oh. Huh. Interesting.)

Editor's Note: Those of you waiting for more information on the All-Star polling need to be patient just a bit longer. Check back on Monday for an update. Assuming the creek doesn't overflow its banks, we'll have full details then, and the actual voting will start later in the week.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 pm

WHat is the red critter? A new nightmare? That rocks
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:26 pm

That's the rage drake (sp) from MM3. Orcs only mount. Woot! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Don't have a use for the drake and the barding on the Nightmare looks goofy as hell. I'll pass on both...No mention of rarities for either, though assuming the NM was a rare wouldn't be a stretch. If the Drake is Unc, I may get a couple. Not granting Mounted Melee attack to the rider will likely mean they'll be useless as a competitive piece, not that that really matters.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 pm

I wish that the barding on the Nightmare was a bit more..."normal".

And I wish that the Ragedrake was something else. It looks, "cartoony" for lack of a better word...It does not have the "ring" that says "living creature" that many of the other minis have. Oh, and it's not one of the six remaining Core Dragons. Yeah, I'm going to go on about that for the next two sets (maybe not every preview, though).
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptySun Sep 16, 2007 5:52 pm

My views on the ragedrake:
-It could make a really cool statue (better than the guard of mithril hall, IMO) in a wizard's tower, etc.
-It sounds like it could be pretty competitive (though we'll have to wait to see on that one, I guess). Extra attacks, may not count against fig limit, extra speed, etc.
-Unfortunately, I've already got a redspawn firebelcher, and these two look *very* similar. Enough for a proxy of firebelcher-ragedrake in D&D games, so if the stats in skirmish don't support this relatively pointless piece for RP, I will have very little need.
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
<b>View of 4.0</b> : DeD Preview 2 is UP! Woot10
Registration date : 2007-04-09

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! EmptyTue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 am

I like the Rage drake... great times we needed more drakes the nightmare just looks silly...hate the armor on it. I have a few without the mount not really a need on my list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DeD Preview 2 is UP!   DeD Preview 2 is UP! Empty

Back to top Go down

DeD Preview 2 is UP!
Page 1 of 1