Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

Dwarf on steriods

Go down 
+2
Pinky Narfanek
Kilsek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : Dwarf on steriods Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dwarf on steriods Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dwarf on steriods Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 8:58 am

I just can help but be amazed that this was released, after seeing shoe's comment:

Quote :
From what Shoe has said in another thread, they knew this was coming and it was not the mini they wanted, either.

It really pisses me off!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : Dwarf on steriods Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : Dwarf on steriods Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 pm

I'll admit that it's a bit disappointing. But we don't know all the details about why WotC are settling for figures that even they don't want.

If I had to guess, I'd say that some figures were bumped from one set to another and that the Guard of Mithral Hall was ready to go (stats-wise) so it got pushed to the front of the line.

At least, that's what I'm hoping...Size creep has been a well-publicized issue for some time and I'd at least like to think that Shoe, et al. are trying to rectify the situation.
Back to top Go down
Wraithborne
Man of Renown
Man of Renown
Wraithborne

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Stealing an idea from some others, I'm going to attempt to paint him like a statue. If not, I know someone who'll trade for 'em all day long!!

I'm not much for caring about scale myself, but this guy even got to me.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 6:52 pm

I really want to like the sculpt on it. But, geez this guy is out of scale.

Pretty soon Dwarves will be taller than Humans...I don't even want to think about what this guy looks like compared to the Human Dragonslayer. :gah:
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

Number of posts : 931
<b>Trade Topic</b> : Here
Registration date : 2007-02-27

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyFri Jul 20, 2007 10:37 am

The Miniature Is Not That Good-Looking Either,But At Least It Was Not Another Kobold,LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11018554
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 6:54 pm

I personally don't see anything wrong with the sculpt. I let my players run off any height/weight they deem appropriate so long as it doesn't put them in another category. Not dwarves as big as humans (though dol dorn would be a good piece for that Very Happy) mind you. I have a guy who sometimes plays with me who wants the "biggest, bulkiest, heaviest armor wearing" fighter ever made whenever he rolls up PCs. He's already expressed interest in using this mini as him :) I do see problems with the fact that pieces are coming out even the company doesn't want to make. Bums me out when a company has this kind of problem.
Back to top Go down
Sir Bozak The Damned
 Loremaster
 Loremaster
Sir Bozak The Damned

Number of posts : 931
<b>Trade Topic</b> : Here
Registration date : 2007-02-27

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 7:53 pm

That Dwarf Is Medium On a Small Base...Just Like The Old Flesh Golem Was Medium On a Large Base,It Is Simply Horrible Work...
Back to top Go down
http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11018554
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyFri Aug 03, 2007 8:03 pm

Meh, so long as the base size is appropriate, the mini on top is like a holographic representation that I can re-paint. So that's really why I don't mind terribly.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 am

I'm pretty much the same way, but there are times when what is atop the base goes too far and hurts the game. Within a certain range, size is of limited importance to me.

But when Dwarves are taller (not necessarily bulkier as Dwarves were once described as nearly as wide as they were tall) than Humans or Elves, things start to stretch credibility beyond where it should go.

It's like the Gargantuan Blue Dragon...You can't really even use the thing because it overhangs the base so badly! What's the point of putting it on a 4x4 base if it's really a 6x6 creature because no other minis can get near it?!

There should be some standards here...even if they're not terribly strict. Rough size guidelines and minimize base overhang...that's all I'm really after.

But minis that WotC doesn't want to put out? Maybe we need to cut back to two sets a year so that they have the time needed to do things correctly.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 1:57 am

Oh my gosh! Guen, shadowdancer, and bunches more get in the way of my RP. I was actually kind of happy with the dire tiger due to this exact reason. The sculpt wasn't my fav, but if I ever use it for RP, it'll be sooooo easy.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptySat Aug 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Yeah, that's one reason why I've been reluctant to embrace the 2" bases on Large creatures. We're already getting overhang (of the serious variety) on minis. When the base is 1 1/2" that's not so bad because you've got a 1/2" of extra space and you can slide the mini around a bit to make the best fit possible.

But, with the 2" base, if there's overhang (I'm looking at you, Large Black Dragon!) then things get touchy as you have to keep repostioning things to make sure it fits...which detracts from the game as you're constantly fiddling with your "toys" instead of playing with them!

Grrrr....Rawr!
Back to top Go down
yack
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
The Drumming Drunkin' DM
yack

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2007-04-09

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyFri Aug 10, 2007 6:12 am

God I hate this mini... why do I have so many of them... ugh.
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods EmptyMon Aug 13, 2007 6:58 pm

You have them because you hate them.

If you loved them, you wouldn't be able to get them, and the ones you got wouldn't seem like quite so many.

Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dwarf on steriods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf on steriods   Dwarf on steriods Empty

Back to top Go down

Dwarf on steriods
Page 1 of 1