Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons

Latest imagesHomeGalleryRegister

ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Empty
PostSubject: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Decided to post this up. Don't really like it upon close inspection, but if I ever fix it, this'll be a comparison thread Very Happy

Front:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Back:
Comparison Front:
Comparison Back:
Back to top Go down
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Not bad at all. It's amazing what a bit of simple touch-up work will do for a mini.

Have you thought about drybrushing with a bit of dark blue or purple to help bring out the folds of the robe? I found that it can work pretty well (Nessian Warhound that I need to get finished) and brings out detail without shifting the mood of the figure.
Back to top Go down
ZER0
Necromancer Supreme
Necromancer Supreme
ZER0

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Yeah, I mostly made it as a test to see if I liked painting. Notice how I left the skin tone the same because I didn't feel like mixing paints Very Happy. I needed a kobold necromancer for a game, and the red robes weren't cutting it anymore. Never did end up playing that game... But it does appear at least a minor step-up, you can't really notice the little blotches of red from the original paint-job when you're looking at it on a table, so I didn't feel like going all crazy on it. I don't really paint to make beautiful minis, I just paint to serve a purpose in my game usually. I will try out drybrushing though, because the better I can get it to look, the more my players will probably appreciate how much work and effort I put into it. Which, overall is my real goal.
Back to top Go down
Kilsek
Encounter Killer
Defender of the Faith: DM

Encounter KillerDefender of the Faith:  DM
Kilsek

Number of posts : 2557
Hit Points : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Fulllife
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Censor11
<b>View of 4.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Censor11
<b>Trade Topic</b> : HERE
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 pm

any kobold is a good kobold.

The drybrushing would really help
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekedondungeonsanddragons.com
Pinky Narfanek
Chainmail Guru
Chainmail Guru
Pinky Narfanek

Number of posts : 830
<b>View of DDM 2.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Woot10
<b>View of 4.0</b> : ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Woot10
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptyThu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 am

And it's one of the simplest ways to get shading done. Up until I tried washes on the Tiefling Blademaster, I'd only ever done a bit of drybrushing.

The thing about drybrushing is to not worry about getting too much off the brush. You can always drybrush again or more heavily over the area if you don't have enough coverage, but it's tougher to remove the paint once it's on, and have fun!

That's the part that I tend to get hung up on. Have fun with your painting and don't worry about making Golden Demon caiber figures all the time. Keep you painting simple and clean to start with and go from there.

I hope to be seeing more of your work soon!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 12:42 am

Nice job on painting Zero. I've never tried to paint a mini before and that would be lightyears better than anything I would paint.
Back to top Go down
RedSkullz
 Warlord
 Warlord
RedSkullz

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer EmptySat Aug 11, 2007 1:40 am

Pinky Narfanek wrote:
And it's one of the simplest ways to get shading done. Up until I tried washes on the Tiefling Blademaster, I'd only ever done a bit of drybrushing.

The thing about drybrushing is to not worry about getting too much off the brush. You can always drybrush again or more heavily over the area if you don't have enough coverage, but it's tougher to remove the paint once it's on, and have fun!

That's the part that I tend to get hung up on. Have fun with your painting and don't worry about making Golden Demon caiber figures all the time. Keep you painting simple and clean to start with and go from there.

I hope to be seeing more of your work soon!

Excellent drybrushing tips pinky...i particularily like the advice in the last paragraph. It will take many, many miniatures to produce really amazing painted figures. Be patient, and let your developing skill have time to develop. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer   ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer Empty

Back to top Go down

ZER0's Repaint- Kobold Necromancer
Page 1 of 1